Friday, June 29, 2012

2012 Fairytale Project: The Snow Queen






































Just in the nick of time, here's June's illustration for the Fairytale Project.  Phew.

I decided that the Snow Queen might feel more imposing if she was standing, instead of sitting on her throne, so I re-did the drawing.  I thought about using light blue ink to outline the Queen, but I chickened out.  Now I'm wishing I would have taken the blue ink plunge.  Hm... maybe next time I'll be more bold.  But I loved drawing these characters, especially our dear villainess, and can't wait to re-visit this story.  There are so many wonderful scenes to choose from!  But for now I'll check June, and The Snow Queen, off of my list.  For next month I'm thinking "Baba Yaga".

In other news, I'm very happy to announce that I was chosen as this year's runner up for the Don Freeman grant.  Thank you SCBWI!  The winner was Dan Moynihan, and I'm very honored to be in his company.  Congratulations, Dan!


7 comments:

  1. Brilliantly done. The snow moving framing the composition ... Just brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. one of my favorite stories! well done!! love the energy of the snow :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, Brooke! I'd seen the Don Freeman announcement on the SCBWI website and been waiting for you to toot your own horn. It is well deserved. I just marvel at your work...in this piece I so wish I was looking over your shoulder as you created those chilling swirls in watercolor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, the swirls of snow are really amazing. Nicely done! And a big congrats on the grant!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! Please tell me you are turning this in to a calendar. I can hardly wait to get a few of them. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely beautiful work, Brooke! And super duper congrats to you re: the Don Freeman award runner's up..awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on the Don Freeman! That is so great! What an exciting time for you! You're setting the world ablaze! And that drawing is stunning. You have such a great eye for color and composition and your characters are always so full of life!

    ReplyDelete